frequently asked questions
The Leonidas Maître Chocolatier is here to help you
Are Leonidas products well known in Belgium, the country of chocolate par excellence?
- When a recent survey asked 20,000 Belgians what they thought about different brands, Leonidas was outright winner in the chocolate category. In fact, 1 in every 3 top quality Belgian chocolates sold comes from Leonidas - and 55% of Belgians say that we are the most highly-rated chocolate maker in the country. Not bad, in the most chocolate-obsessed country in the world.
Is there a Leonidas store near me?
- There's always a Leonidas near you. You'll find confectioners with the Leonidas logo everywhere, no matter which country you travel to and no matter which city you find yourself in. The 'Store Locator' page on this site will help you find the Leonidas shop(s) nearest you. You'll then see exactly where they are on a map, view their address, phone numbers and website address.
What's the best way to eat a Leonidas chocolate?
- Chocolate should involve every one of your senses: sight, touch, hearing, taste and smell. Allow the chocolate to start to melt in your mouth - it should be smooth, without any hint of graininess. Two or three bites should release the secondary aromas in the filling. Finally, push the chocolate gently against the roof of your mouth to allow the flavour to linger on your palate. Above all, take your time to enjoy the experience. After all, we took our time making it.
Do Leonidas products contain vegetable fat?
- From 3 August 2003, a European Directive has allowed chocolate manufacturers to use vegetable fats (instead of cocoa butter) in their chocolates, albeit under certain very strict conditions. This Directive caused a lot of controversy among manufacturers and consumers, but at Leonidas we have a very clear and simple position on this issue. Leonidas only uses 100% cocoa butter in its chocolates and fillings. The statement that "Leonidas is 100% pure cocoa butter... and 100% quality" is more true now than ever.
Does the Leonidas range includes Kosher chocolates or chocolates that are suitable for vegetarians or vegans?
We do have Kosher certification for our products. Please read in the pdf the authorized products published by the Chicago Rabbinical Council:
In addition some of the products in the Leonidas range are suitable for vegetarians and vegans. The salesperson in your Leonidas outlet will be able to advise you.
Are the Leonidas products Halal?
- A list that identifies the products that do not contain alcohol is available on request at firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I eat Leonidas products without having to worry about allergic reactions?
- It all depends on what type of allergy you have. Some Leonidas products contain allergens (gluten or nuts for instance). If you have a food allergy, simply send us an e-mail and we'll be happy to tell you which chocolates are safe for the allergy you specify. In short:
- Leonidas products contain no eggs, except for our jellies and our lemon slices and orange slices.
- Gluten is a molecule found in cereals such as wheat, barley, oats and their derivatives such as malt and starch. Some Leonidas products are made with ingredients that contain gluten and that may contain traces of gluten.
- Dried fruits
- Many Leonidas products contain nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, etc.). All Leonidas product can contain traces of dried fruit.
- Milk (lactose, milk proteins, etc.)
- Dairy products are naturally key ingredients in the manufacture of some Leonidas products. Leonidas quality assurance procedures demand that between manufacturing cycles, i.e. between different types of chocolate, the equipment will be properly cleaned and rinsed. Despite the implementation of good manufacturing practices, traces of milk proteins may be found in some of our dark chocolates. The American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFA) have identified milk proteins as a food allergen. However, methods of analysis have recently become available to manufacturers that allow milk proteins to be detected in minute proportions of parts per million. For the benefit of its customers, Leonidas prints the following statement on all its packaging at the end of the list of ingredients for its dark chocolate "(may contain traces of milk proteins)”.
How do I best store Leonidas chocolates?
If you want to enjoy the Leonidas chocolates containing alcohol or butter cream at their best, we recommend storing them in a cool place and eating them cool (straight from the fridge). Our pure chocolates and those with praline, ganache, cream, liqueur cream or almond paste fillings, and our truffles are best stored at temperatures of between 15 and 18 C
Care should also be taken not to store the chocolates and chocolate in general near foods or substances that have a strong odour, since chocolate absorbs odours very readily.
Do Leonidas pralines contain GMO's? (genetically modified organism)
The company that supplies Leonidas with its couverture chocolate guarantees that the soya lecithin used in the manufacturing process is exclusively from soya from plantations that are strictly controlled to ensure they do not contain genetically modified soya and is PCR negative.
As for glucose and products containing glucose, our suppliers’ guarantee that the glucose is either produced from starch from non-genetically modified wheat or that controls are in place to ensure that no genetically modified maize is used in the course of manufacture.
Why do some chocolates have a 'bloom'?
There are two types of bloom, fatty bloom and sugar bloom. Fatty bloom is a smooth film on the surface of the chocolate which you can't really feel. Sugar bloom looks and feels like tiny grains of sugar.
Fatty bloom is caused by fats migrating to the surface of the chocolate, or by them re-crystallizing. This can be caused by the chocolate layer being too thin, poor tempering, the filling migrating, or the chocolate being stored at too high a temperature.Sugar bloom is caused by the recrystalization of the sugar in the chocolate. This happens when condensation forms on the chocolate due to a temperature difference and high humidity.
Chocolate should always be stored in dry conditions at between 15 and 18C. That's precisely how we store all our LEONDIAS chocolates to ensure that they reach you in the best possible condition
Is chocolate good for your health?
- Chocolate is known to have anti-depressant qualities, which could be linked to the small quantity of serotonin found in chocolate. Serotonin is a substance which is found naturally in the brain and affects our moods. Other substances contained in chocolate help you stay awake and alert, help your muscles work, stimulate the appetite, and help mental activity and alertness. Remember that a good quality chocolate only contains cocoa, pure cocoa butter and sugar.
Does chocolate cheer you up?
- Yes it does. Chocolate peps up your body and your mind. It has a lot of energy in a very small volume because of its main nutrients such as carbohydrates (sugars) and fatty acids or lipids. Your body absorbs the sugars rapidly to give you a quick energy boost. It processes the fatty acids (the cocoa butter) more slowly to give you energy over an extended period. The mineral salts, oligo elements and vitamins in chocolate also make it a good regenerative food for the brain. Its theobromine stimulates the nervous system and boosts concentration.
Is chocolate good for lovers?
- The Aztec Emperor Montezuma, Casanova, Madame De Pompadour and the Marquis de Sade certainly all thought so. Although it's not really an aphrodisiac, one of the substances it contains, phenylethylamine, causes your body to react in the same way as it does when you're in love. So chocolate may not make you a great lover, but you can't help loving chocolate!
Does chocolate increase cholesterol levels?
- Quite the opposite in fact. Once it has been absorbed by your body, cocoa produces 72% unsaturated fatty acids which actually reduce your cholesterol level and clean your arteries. It contains only 20% saturated fatty acids - the kind which aren't so good for you. There's very little cholesterol in dark chocolate made from 100% cocoa butter, like that of Leonidas. In milk chocolate, the cholesterol varies from 15 to 18mg per 100g which is pretty insignificant.
Does chocolate contain magnesium?
- We all need magnesium in our diets to promote good neuro-vascular function, but our normal food intake barely provides the minimum. The good news is that chocolate is rich in magnesium.
What are the delivery options for UK?
- Leonidas delivers via Royal Mail 1st Class service (signed for). This will normally take 1 open working day (although it doesn't mean guaranteed next day delivery) and costs £4.95.
- In the Christmas season orders placed after 11a.m. are processed on the next working day. For orders placed on Friday after 11a.m. and during weekends the orders are processed on the following Monday, likely to be delivered on Tuesday.
- Please note that from 1st December there might be delays with the delivery! Please make sure you leave a few days for your order to arrive.
What Delivery Restrictions are there?
- Leonidas do not ship to PO mailbox.
Can I send your chocolates to a BFPO address?
- We are happy to send our products to your friends and loved ones at their BFPO address. However, this facility is not currently available via our website, but our Customer Service team will be pleased to help. Please contact email@example.com..
Do you offer specific day delivery?
- Currently we don’t offer this service. However our customer service will be happy to help you with this matter. Please contact via telephone, or email and we will be happy to confirm you the specific day delivery.
How do I send my order to a friend at an address other than my own?
- During the checkout you will find the delivery page, on which you can edit your own address or add a new address to change to another address.
How do I add message cards?
- When you select your gift box you will find a message box on the product screen, from here you can enter the message of your choice and this will be printed on an exclusive Leonidas gift card.
Payments, Gift Vouchers and Discounts :
What payment methods do Leonidas accept for mail order?
- Via mail order online and by phone we accept Visa, Mastercard, Maestro and PayPal.
My card has been declined - why?
- This is always frustrating and there are a number of reasons as to why a card may decline, we always suggest the best thing to do is to check your details are correct and contact your bank. If no explanation can be found please contact our customer service team via this web form.
Do you accept PayPal?
How do I add a voucher gift code to my order?
- From your mini basket click checkout, you will then be taken to your full basket page. Within this page you will be asked on the left hand side beneath your items ‘do you have a voucher?’. Here you can add one voucher code. There will be specific terms and conditions depending on the voucher as to how this works in conjunction with any other offers.
What is ‘Verified by Visa’?
- Verified by Visa is a service that password-protects your Visa card details; providing you with added security when you shop online. They allow you to create a password that is known only to yourself, to use every time you use your Visa card online. To register for Verified by Visa all you need to do is follow the instructions next time you place an order online with us. Alternatively, you can sign up by contacting the bank that issued your Visa card directly. You’ll be asked to come up with a password for your Visa card. You only need to do this once, then whenever you use the card online you will be asked to enter the password when you check out. If you have already registered, you will be prompted to enter your Verified by Visa password when you order.
What is MasterCard Secure Code?
- MasterCard SecureCode is a service that password-protects your Maestro card details, to give added security when you shop online. They allow you to create a password that is known only to yourself, to use every time you use your Maestro card online. To register for MasterCard SecureCode all you need to do is follow the instructions next time you place an order with us. Alternatively, you can sign up by contacting the bank that issued your Maestro card directly. You’ll be asked to come up with a password (also known as a SecureCode) for your Maestro card. You only need to do this once, then whenever you use the card online you will be asked to enter the password when you check out. If you have already registered, you will be prompted to enter your SecureCode when you order.
Are there corporate discounts available for large orders at Leonidas Chocolatier?
- For information on discounts on large orders please contact our corporate team firstname.lastname@example.org.
Checking, Amending and Cancelling
I placed an order but didn't receive an order confirmation. Did you get my order?
- The first place you should check is your order history. You can view this by logging in at Leonidas website and viewing your account by clicking hello and your name in the top right hand corner of your screen. Within your account you will see the order history option in the left hand navigation menu. You will then see a full list of all orders we have received from you online and by phone, complete with order number, total price and date. If you do not see your order here please contact our customer service team on the contact form with your name, email and postcode as soon as possible.
Where can I see my order history?
- You can view this by logging in and viewing your account. Within your account you will see the order history option in the navigation menu. You will then see a full list of all orders we have received from you online, complete with order number, total price and date.
How to find Your Order Number
- Your order number will be visible upon completion of your order, an email order confirmation receipt will also be sent to you. Failing this you can check your order history. You can view this by logging in and viewing your account. You will then see a full list of all orders we have received from you online, complete with order number, total price and date.
Can I amend my order after it has been placed?
- This is only possible if your order has not been completed at our dispatch centre. You should immediately contact our customer service team via the contact form with your order number.
How can I check my order status and track my order?
- Please visit our Order Tracking page.
Returns, Resends and Refunds
What if I’m not happy with my order?
- You can order in complete confidence; if you’re not 100% happy with your order or we miss an important delivery date, then we guarantee we’ll immediately put it right for you – refunding or replacing as appropriate. Please contact us – we’re here to help.
What if my order arrives damaged?
- All of our products are carefully packed to withstand their journey in the post and we are confident they will arrive with you in perfect condition. In the event that your order does arrive damaged, please don’t worry. We guarantee we’ll immediately put it right for you – refunding or replacing as appropriate. Please contact us – we’re here to help. Alternatively, you can return your order to any of our UK stores.
Can I contact you about my in store purchase?
- Of course; our customer experience team are empowered to help, regardless of where or how you made your original purchase. Please contact us here.
Can I contact a store about my online purchase?
- Of course; our stores are empowered to help, regardless of where or how you made your original purchase.
Can I contact you about a gift I have received?
- Of course, we’re here to help so please contact us.
What happens if I change my mind?
- We want you to be 100% happy with your order and all of your purchases are covered by our No Excuses Guarantee. If you change your mind about the item(s) that you have ordered, please contact us here.
Can I see my order history?
- To view your order history, you will first need to log in. Once logged in, you will have a list of options, including ‘Order History’. This will show all of your previous orders.
Where can I manage my email settings?
- You will first need to log in with your email address and current password. Once logged in, you will have a further list of options, including ‘Account Preferences’. You will be able to select which types of communication you are happy to receive.
Where can I manage my addresses?
- You will first need to log in with your email address and current password. Once logged in, you will have a further list of options, including ‘Manage Delivery Addresses’. This will present you with a list including your main address and previous addresses that you have saved. You will also have the option to ‘Enter New Address’ to your address book.
Where can I manage my payment cards?
- You will first need to log in with your email address and current password. Once logged in, you will have a further list of options, including ‘Saved Payment Cards’. This will show a list of payment cards you have previously used and give you the option to delete these.
OR CALL OUR LONDON STORE ON
020 7722 1191